Ingredients needed for your Mojito Chia Pudding
- 1/2 avocado
- 2-3 dates
- 1 handful raw cashew nuts
- 2-3 tbs chia seeds
- 1/2 lime juiced and some zest
- 1 handful fresh mint
- 100 ml coconut milk
In the recent years chia seeds enjoy increased popularity as health enhancing food. They contain many beneficial nutrients and therefore provide significant health benefits.
* Contain many nutritional fibers – added to water they form a gel that helps digestion and bowel movement. They also suppress hunger and help in reducing body weight.
* Excellent source of calcium, magnesium and boron – help build strong bones and reduce the appetite, another reason to consume chia seeds if we want to lose weight.
* Rich in omega-3 and alpha-linolenic fatty acids – contain about 65% omega-3 and alpha-linolenic acids. They act as a natural anti-inflammatory and help reduce pain of arthritis. Consuming chia seeds help increase good cholesterol and protect against heart disease. They are useful for good mental focus and fight against depression and depressive episodes.
* Help hydration – the hydrophilic colloidal properties in chia seeds help retain moisture, so the body does not dehydrate and maintains good electrolyte balance.
These are just a few of the important properties of chia seeds. They can be added in smoothies and desserts, but it’s important to be soaked in advance. Seeds that are not soaked can cause irritated stomach and swelling. It’s important to know that people sensitive to mustard may be intolerant to chia. Chia seeds belong to the Salvia category. They may cause blood thinning, low blood pressure or stomach irritation.
I’ve never had any problems after chia consumption myself, but I rarely include it in my diet. Usually once a week or so… and more often in summer in smoothies or juice.
I thought that the regular chia pudding (seeds soaked in nut or coconut milk) was a bit dull, so I experimented by adding some other products as well. This breakfast may be suitable for serving as dessert as well… Its interesting taste is due to the combination of avocado, nuts, lime and mint … i.e. something like a vegan mojito cheesecake and chia pudding. We like it, try it too!