Ingredients needed for your Pumpkin Risotto
Sometimes I think about writing an article called “With Love for the Pumpkin”… My blog is only 10 months old but I already have several pumpkin recipes and a few other that are waiting to be published… Well, it’s pumpkin season and I just can’t get enough of it.
Rediscovering pumpkin is a turning point in my culinary career path… 10-15 years ago I was using it only for roasting and the traditional Bulgarian sweet pumpkin pie called “Tikvenik”. And it’s not like I don’t like these dishes, I love them… but pumpkin could be used in so many ways… and is so versatile!
How to make this tasty Pumpkin Risotto step by step
- 250 g pumpkin
- 1 cup rice
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup white wine if desired
- 4 cups vegetable broth bio or homemade
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs thyme
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbs pumpkin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Peel the pumpkin and cut it into 1-2cm pieces. Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and cook the onion on medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the broth in a separate bowl. I use only bio vegetable broths with no additives.
- When the onions soften, add the rice and stir continuously to prevent it from burning and sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add the wine and stir until it evaporates completely. If you're not using wine, skip this step.
- When the wine is completely absorbed, add the pumpkin and start adding broth to the rice using a ladle. You should be adding one ladle at a time and wait for the rice to absorb it and then add the next portion of broth. Reduce the heat and continue adding broth. This method will help you achieve the perfect risotto texture at the end.
- When you’re left with only 2-3 ladles of broth, add the finely chopped garlic. Season with salt, black pepper and add thyme. While continuously stirring, turn up the heat to medium high heat and cook until the risotto completely absorbs the remaining liquid. Depending on the type of rice, the quantity of broth may vary. You just have to pay attention when the rice is cooked. The risotto should have creamy consistency and the rice should be soft on the outside and a little harder on the inside.
- Put the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan for 1-2 minutes. Stir to avoid burning. Serve the risotto sprinkled with pumpkin seeds.