Ingredients needed for your Cabbage and Tomato Stew
This dish is a classic Bulgarian vegan stew recipe with fresh cabbage and tomatoes. All you need to prepare it are a few ingredients and some soft bread and you’ll have a fragrant and delicious warm dinner.
My mom cooks such a delicious fresh cabbage stew… Mmm! I often cook it here in Germany, but the local cabbage seems to be different and taking longer to soften. It happens to cook it for more than 1 hour, it really depends on the cabbage itself.
And here is how to prepare this Simple Cabbage and Tomato Stew
Simple Cabbage and Tomato Stew
- 1 cabbage about 1 kg
- 1 onion small
- 1 can of tomatoes or 2-3 fresh tomatoes
- 4-5 tbs cooking oil
- 2 pieces of bay leaf
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1/2 lemon freshly squeezed (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Peel and cut the onion, then let it cook in the vegetable oil on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Cut and add the cabbage in stages and let it simmer under a lid.
- Add the tomatoes and water. Season with salt and paprika, then add the bay leaves. Let it simmer for about 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- When the cabbage softens, season with black pepper. If the tomatoes aren't sour enough, add some lemon juice.